I have an arraignment for a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor coming up, and I cannot make the court date, what can I do?

If at all possible, you should try and reschedule your prior commitments to attend the court date. Failing to attend is likely to result in the court issuing a warrant for your arrest. However, if you are unable to make the court date, in most cases an attorney can appear in court on your behalf and have your arraignment “waived,” and get new court dates set. This procedure is available for all misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors, except those that involve driving under the influence (DUI) and those that involve allegations of domestic violence. Most attorneys will provide this service as part of their fee in handling the case, and will not charge extra for it. Please be aware that it is advisable to contact the attorney as soon as possible regarding your court date, so he or she meets the court deadlines for waiving your court appearances.

Most courts in Snohomish County (such as municipal courts in Everett, Edmonds, Lynnwood and Marysville, as well as the Snohomish County District Courts) are receptive to this practice, but do prefer having advance notice.
Back to Frequently Asked Questions