Frequently Asked Questions about Alleged Criminal Violations in Arlington, Edmonds, Everett, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Monroe and the rest of Snohomish County, Washington

Can I appeal my misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor sentence?

Upon conviction in Washington, a sentencing judge may impose any sentence up to the maximum (365 days for a gross misdemeanor and 90 days for a simple misdemeanor). If the judge imposed more time than allowed by statute (such as 95 days where 90 was the maximum), you would be entitled to an appeal. Otherwise, an appeal based on sentencing alone is unavailable (although you can appeal the conviction subject to certain limitations).

However, a “sentence review” is available, and should be pursued in instances where you believe the sentence was much harsher than you think was necessary. Contact a local attorney who is familiar with the courts and judges who can provide you with a comprehensive assessment of whether a sentence review is worthwhile; in many cases it is. Many times our office has been hired for sentence review purposes in and around Snohomish County, and has had great success. We have been able to get some clients out of jail as much as a year and a half early based on strong representation on sentence reviews.
Back to Frequently Asked Questions